Travel Program - It doesn’t appear WJYAA is mandating participation in rec if your son or daughter tryouts and is accepted on one of our travel teams. Players that are accepted on a travel team are encouraged to sign up and play the regular season for WJYAA to become better athletes while supporting WJYAA.
Boys or girls that are interested in travel should plan on attending all the travel tryout times listed and posted. There is no preregistration necessary until the days of the tryouts. The tryout session is closed for coaches and players only. Parents will be required to complete any paperwork for their intent to play travel.
Girls Travel tryout dates/times:
Thurs. 10/19/2017 Norwood 6-7:30pm
Tuesday 10/24/2017 WJ Middle School 7:30-8:30pm
Thurs. 10/26/2017 Norwood 6-7:30pm
Boys Travel tryout dates/times:
To be determined
• At the final tryout a parent meeting will occur and we will go over the expectations for travel. Parents can at this time opt not to participate with travel or move to the next step. At that time everyone will be released and WJYAA will send notification to parents on any one not making the team.
WJYAA will work with the travel coaches with the team selection however WJYAA will make final team selections.
Some changes to our travel teams have occurred this year. We are no longer participating in the Tri-county league for our girls or boys travel teams. We are excited of this new opportunity for our boys and girls and the positive impact it will have for the kids.
• Travel Games could be any day, not only on Sunday.
• We will do our best to avoid rec games while travel is playing games.
WJYAA Regular Basketball Season – Not Travel
In person registrations will only be held on Wednesday 6pm-8pm October 18th, 25th, and November 1st. Saturday October 21st, 28th and November 4th 10am-12pm. All in person signups will be held at the Hurt Battelle Memorial Library 270 Lilly Chapel Road West Jefferson Ohio 43162
Please remember slots maybe limited so register NOW, signups are accepted in the order they are received. Our signup costs remain the same this year as the last 2 years.
• Pee Wee Coed basketball is for ages 3, 4, 5 or 6 on or before August 1st - cost is $70.00
• JR Basketball Boys/Girls is for ages 7, 8 or 9 on or before August 1st - cost is $90 * if the participation level requires it leagues may be co-ed.
• SR Basketball Boys/Girls for ages 10, 11, 12 on or before August 1 cost is $90
Coaches should register/apply with WJYAA now if the desire is to coach. Please remember final coaching decisions is vested with the WJYAA Executive Board.
Recreation Evaluations: WJYAA regular season evaluations will be conducted on Sunday November 5th. It will be coordinated by the grade levels and specific leagues which will be communicated closer to the evaluation. All players will be drafted and disbursed on teams. We will try to maintain boy/girl leagues for our JR league and SR league.
The only guarantee is a head coach’s child.
Season practices will start around the middle of November after drafts and evaluations, all players will be drafted.
Games/ season will start after the first week of December. Peewee practices will start at the end of November and games will start around the middle of December.
For more information please visit our website at wjyaa.org or call John Stanley 614-940-9521; Jerry Fitzpatrick at 614-563-7734 or Jarrett Bare 614-395-5247